How to sing high notes?
Learning how to sing high notes in tune and in a melodious way requires some practice. Some techniques and exercises will enable you to increase your range and reach higher notes without hoarseness.
When singing, whether you're a man or a woman, there are two main methods to make sound: chest voice and head voice. These two methods correspond to two vibration modes and two specific resonances. In practice, a singer usually uses his head voice to reach high-pitched notes. However, as the following videos will demonstrate, low sounds may be made with a head voice, as some high notes may be done with a chest voice.
- Relax your body and warm-up your voice with singing exercises before trying to reach high-pitched notes.
- Identify when you use your head voice when reaching for the high notes to better attune the different voices in between.
- Master your voice in low and mid-range before trying to perfect your high notes vocal technique.
- Improve your high notes skills without straining and at low volume.
How to Sing a High Note | Singing Lessons
In this video, singer and songwriter Anya Singleton explains the technique to sing high notes. High notes may be scary but she'll show you the way to approach them and make them work for you.
- Pick a note that's high.
- Gently slide all the way down (it doesn't have to be perfect).
- When reaching mid-range and low notes, keep using the same technique.
How To Sing High Notes – Simple Tips To Learn How To Sing Higher
Aaron, a singing teacher, talks about how you can avoid pushing your voice too far to hit higher notes, which may really damage your vocal cords. The goal is a smooth blend between head voice and chest voice to expand your range.
- The pattern is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 – 1, with a “T”.
- Start with staccato (short burst notes).
- Work to legato (flowing melodic notes).
Sing High Notes – How Rock Singers Do It (the good ones)
Per Bristow is a vocal coach based in Los Angeles. He's also the creator of a famous voice training program, Sing With Freedom/The Singing Zone. In this video, he'll show you how to avoid one of the main mistakes: tending to want to go for too much volume. The key is to develop the muscles.
How to sing high notes without straining your voice
Nicola from Singers Secret explains that high notes are relative to your individual vocal range, and every that song can be transposed down or up to a key that suits your voice. Don't try to copy a song that's been arranged for a vocal range that isn't yours.
This article to learn how to sing high notes was written by Cécile Lessard