How to draw a character?
With a little technique and practice, drawing a character (cartoon, comic book, Manga) is within the reach of anyone. Once the figure is drawn, details like the face expression or the body shadows can be added.
- Start by roughly sketching the outlines of the character, making sure you respect the proportions of the different parts of the body.
- Then draw the character's clothes and accessories; create shady areas to increase the realism and give depth to the drawing.
- Complete the sketch with the facial features and the look (bright pupil, wrinkled eyes, frowning eyebrows...) to give a specific expression to the face.
The first video tutorials will show you the basic drawing techniques to learn how to graphically represent a human body (male and female), with realistic and harmonious proportions. Then you'll see how to sketch Manga or cartoon characters, easy to reproduce.
How to Draw Figures : How to Draw People Figures
To draw a standing character with the right body proportions, you may want to start by drawing a vertical line divided in 8 sections, each one representing a different part of the body.
For the male figure:
- Start with a circle for the head, then a little line (the neck) and the spine.
- Add a rectangle for the torso.
- Draw another circle just below the torso then another small rectangle.
- Add a small circle on each corner of the first rectangle (the shoulders).
- Draw the arms then the legs.
For the female figure:
- The beginning is the same: a circle for the head, a small line and the spine.
- Add a triangle instead of a rectangle for a sleeker torso.
- Add a small circle just below the torso then another small rounded triangle for the hips.
- Finish with the arms and the legs.
How to Draw a Face – Basic Proportions
- Start with a circle.
- Draw a line in the middle, bringing it down past to the circle.
- Connect both side of the circle with the end of the line to create a jaw line and chin.
- Just above the base of the circle, draw a horizontal line.
- Divide the part that's under that line in thirds.
- Draw the eyes and eyebrows right above the first third.
- Add the nose in the first third.
- The mouth will be drawn just above the last third.
- The ears start at the level of the lower part of the eyebrow and are as long as the nose.
How To Draw A Realistic Eye: Narrated Step By Step
- Draw the shape of the eye and add an upper line for the upper eyelid.
- Repeat for the lower eyelid.
- Draw the iris, making the top of the circle go underneath the upper lid.
- Add a highlight to the eye and draw the pupil.
- When you're satisfied with the basic shape of the eye, start to add the eye lashes, one at a time. Press the pencil harder for contrast.
- Darken a few features then add some details and shadows to the iris, as shown in the demonstration.
- Fill in the pupil and shade the lids.
How to Draw a Simple Character (step by step) – For Kids
- A pencil
- A black marker
- A rubber
- Start by drawing an oval shaped head, then a neck.
- Add a rough rectangle below the neck, a smaller one underneath.
- Trace a vertical line in the middle of the head, and a horizontal line just above the centre of the face.
- Then draw two small horizontal lines: one for the nose, one for the mouth.
- Shape the eyes just below the large horizontal line.
- Add more definition to the nose and mouth.
- Draw the t-shirt sleeves, add details to the pants and trace the shoes.
- Shade the t-shirt's creases. Draw the arms.
- Use the black marker to add contrast and definition.
- Remove the pencil sketching with a rubber.
Drawing a Basic Manga Girl
The Japanese comic books, known as Manga, have very specific graphical properties. A small mouth, a barely-there nose and huge expressive eyes are their most recognisable features. Here's how to draw this character.
This article to learn how to draw a character was written by Cécile Lessard