How to grow salad?
To grow salad in your garden or indoors, whether it's lettuce, rocket, scarole, batavia or frisée, the technique remains the same: you will need to prepare the soil, sow the seeds at the right time and water the seedlings.
- Respect the planting season according to the variety (as indicated on the packaging).
- Allow intervals between the plantings (every two weeks) to stagger harvesting.
- Thin the plants 4 to 5 weeks after the planting, when the seedlings have grown 4 to 5 distinct leaves and are around 10cm high.
- When buying salad seedlings, make sure that the soil is wet and that its heigh is about half the seedling's height.
- To avoid tearing the roots when planting the seedlings, generously water the soil.
- Allow a 30cm planting distance.
- Don't eat a salad that is going to seed (small flowers appear).
- Cover the soil with straw to keep it wet during the summer. Water early in the morning or in the evening.
- Don't grow salad next to parsley, beans, sunflowers, cabbage, radish, green peas. On the contrary, you can grow salad together with tomatoes, melon, carrots, aubergine, pepper.
How to grow lettuce
- Break the big soil chunks with your hands.
- Draw a line in the dirt.
- Sprinkle the seeds down the line.
- Cover the seeds up.
- Generously water the seeds.
How to Grow Rocket
- Rocket seeds
- Leaf mould
- Top dress the bed with leaf mould.
- Draw a line across the bed with your finger.
- Water along the line.
- Sprinkle the rocket seeds along the line.
- Cover the seeds with damp compost.
- Keep the seedlings damp, but not wet.
Growing a Salad Bowl – Cheap and Easy Method to Grow Lettuce Indoors
- Organic potting mix
- Tray or container
- Spray bottle
- Salad seeds
- Fill the container with the potting mix.
- Sprinkle seeds all over.
- Cover the seeds with some more potting mix.
- Mix it all up.
- Spay with water.
- Place the tray in a place that gets plenty of light.
- You can start picking the leaves out after 3 to 4 weeks.
How to grow leaf salad in pots
- Watering can
- Salad seeds
- Evenly sprinkle some seeds on the soil.
- Cover the seeds with a layer of compost.
- Gently water.
This article to learn how to grow salad was written by Cécile Lessard